Whispering Pond Farm

Whispering Pond Farm

Friday, February 17, 2012

Rabbits and Menu

I think I have completed the menu for the reception dinner. Items may change according to what produce really is available in September. Variables always include the weather, bugs, fungus, and critters (moles, deer, and the dreaded raccoon). Bob has a pretty good handle on the squash bugs and I am the tomato worm crushing expert. Tomato worms are disgusting. They do however, produce a satisfying squishing noise when you step on them. Bob and I have raised rabbits for several years. The meat has a mild flavor, very different from wild rabbit, making it very versatile. I'm always looking for new recipes for rabbit. I think my favorites have been rabbit pot pie and braised and then grilled rabbit with a herb marinade. I'll include the recipes tomorrow. Bob started leaving the light on in the rabbit area during the day. We discovered that they breed more successfully earlier if they have at least 12 to 14 hours a day for a month or two before you attempt to breed them. We have one buck and two does. Wanda is a New Zeeland White, and Kid and Reba Louise are Californians. These three produce approximately 15 rabbits a season. Live well, Carmen

No comments:

Post a Comment