Whispering Pond Farm

Whispering Pond Farm

Friday, January 20, 2012

January 20

I want to provide a little history regarding my small farm. I was told once that I was gardener and not a farmer because I water my garden. I'd like to think I'm a little of both. Bob, my friend, and I, manage a slightly less than five acre area of land just outside Grand Rapids, Michigan. Our interests include a large vegetable and herb garden, a small flock of chickens, several ewes, two dairy goats, three breeding rabbits, multiple barn cats, and two dogs. My interest in becoming self sustaining, at least providing the majority of our food, started several years ago, with a small herb and vegetable garden. This idea grew to include chickens, sheep, and rabbits. My daughter and I enjoyed showing Appaloosa horses for many years but, with her departure to college and then law school, my focus changed. I needed something to eat my pasture, other than the pull behind deck mower. Sheep were the logical choice. The fence gradually was reconfigured to accommodate smaller animals. The next addition were two dairy goats, Ruthie and Sweet Pea. Lisa taught me to make wonderful soft goat cheese. Chickens for meat and eggs were added. There is nothing quite like ordering and receiving chicks through the mail. Meat rabbits were added to round put the menagerie. Did I mention Bob has a degree in Animal Husbandry from Michigan State University? He also spent several years living on a commune in northern Michigan. A definite bonus. My Uncle Alec and Uncle Mac have agreed to provide additional information regarding my family history and the renovation of the barn. In the following days I'll be writing about the care, menu, weeding, planting, etc. of the project. Live well! Carmen

No comments:

Post a Comment